InSanitas and The Fast and The Furriest

Wow, this has been a big week.

I went down to Boulder on Friday for the annual InSanitas birthday run and successfully ran my age +2 for good measure to rack up over 17,000ft of climbing. This run sounds absolutely horrible repeating the same 3 mile loop and 1300ft climb from sunrise to sunset. But the small loop made it easy for a lot of people to come out and join in for a lap or two any time throughout the day. At the end of my day, Chris and Kari where still going strong and Eric and Ning were just getting started with a fresh group planning to stay out all night. So even after spending over 14 hours on my feet, I actually felt a little disappointed leaving the party early.

Early morning view of Boulder from the Sanitas summit.

Me, Kari, Tressa, Chris, and Denise at the summit.

Hodges' home made endurance formula.

In between crazy Hardrock training runs, I found time for 2 Animal House runs. Trish joined me for the Tuesday FCTR social run at Reservoir Ridge and was great in the car, on leash, and with the group. She has a lot of energy but runs well, learns quickly, and is really easy to handle.

On Saturday, I made it out to the Fast and the Furriest 5k. Our local Towers queen of the hill, Jenn Malmberg, directs this race to raise money for the Companion Care Fund. So this was a great opportunity to support a good cause, help one of our runners, and I couldn’t pass up a chance to get out with a dog from Animal House. After 40 miles on Sanitas, I wasn’t in any condition to run very fast but figured this would be a great opportunity to just jog with the crowd and show off Misty.

Misty ready to run her first 5k.

Misty had been doing so well on leash that I decided not to use a gentle leader or harness for the race. Right up to the start of the race, Misty was still behaving extremely well walking through the crowds of runners and dogs with me so I really didn’t think I needed to warm up to try to tire her out. But as soon as the race started, Misty took off like Rocket and decided that my social pace just wasn’t good enough. I had a tough time keeping my balance trying to hold her back for the first mile and had to make a few stops with her to re-adjust my grip on her leash (by the way, she did stop and sit nicely before tearing off at a sprint again). And with all the excitement from the start, Misty had to stop take a short bathroom break.  So our race was off to a rough start with a 12:21 split for the first mile. After that, Misty settled down and fell into pace with me but we were so far behind in the pack that we had to dodge dozens of walk/joggers with feisty yorkies and weiner dogs on flexi-leashes for the next mile. But we made it through mile two in a bit more respectable 7:57 and finally found enough space to run the last mile in 6:58. Despite the rocky start to the run, Misty and I had a great time. Jenn hosted a fantastic event and it was fun to see so many of our local trail runners out. Sam finished 3rd overall but took the first dog award. Alex and Shadow ran a new Colorado PR. And Cherilyn, Celeste, and Amanda all beat Nick to the finish after his borrowed dog, Chester, decided to duck out of his collar and run off in the opposite direction at the start.

After the 5k, I had just enough time to take Baxter and Sheba over to Round Mountain for a short jog halfway up the hill and back. Today I headed back to Round Mountain again for some repeats to finish off a 100 mile week with 34,378 vertical feet. …now I just need to figure out how to do that in about 30 hours above 11,000ft and I’ll be all set to go for Hardrock.

  • Rob

    April 25th, 2011

    34K training week. Wow! Watch out Hardrock! Have fun on Greyrock this weekend. I’m gonna have to hit it (at least a quad) in May sometime.

  • Pete

    April 25th, 2011

    Sorry we’ll miss you on Greyrock this weekend. It sounds like we have a good group coming out. Several people are in for the full day and quite a few others are coming out for 1 to 3 laps. Is my 5am start too late for you?

  • Rob

    April 25th, 2011

    I actually contemplated starting Friday afternoon to finish Saturday morning but decided against it.

  • No trackbacks yet

Leave a Comment

* are Required fields